Tuesday, March 11, 2014
President Obama Visits Saint Paul, Minnesota
By: Hayley Jacobs
President Obama visited Minnesota state Capital, Saint Paul, on Wednesday February 26th to propose an agenda to offer Americans new jobs. He wants to rebuild the transportation infrastructure.
He arrived at the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, welcomed by cold winds and Saint Paul Governor, Chris Coleman.
St. Paul was chosen for the President’s announcement for this $600 million federal grant, because St. Paul has received about $125 million in funding for prior renovations.
Mr. Obama started his speech by getting the crowds attention with little jokes about the weather, “I walked off those stairs and I was like, ‘This is balmy, this is great.’ February, in Minnesota — can’t beat it. Cannot beat it.”
In his main speech, the President went over four parts of his agenda. In part one, he guarantees good, well-paying jobs in manufacturing and energy. People would have work building and fixing roads, bridges, etc. Part two is innovation and infrastructure. Third is job training. Lastly, he guarantees access to world-class education and rewarding work with livable wages, with the ability to have savings and health care.
He also wants the American population to have efficient, affordable transit, similar to the trains that will be running through the Minneapolis-St. Paul area starting in June.
The president is not waiting for Congress to make a decision and work on these priorities. “In this year of action, whenever I can partner directly with states or cities or business leaders or civic leaders to act on this opportunity agenda, I’m going to go ahead and do it. We can’t wait. We’ve got to move. We’ve got to get things going. Too many families are counting on it. So next week, I’m going to send Congress a budget that funds rebuilding our transportation infrastructure in a more responsible way — by doing it over four years, which gives cities and states and private investors the certainty they need to plan major projects,” he said.
The president is eager and confident about this new four-year plan. He said he will be trying to create more jobs, with or without the help of Congress. With high hopes Obama states “But … in this year of action, whenever I can partner directly with states or cities or business leaders or civic leaders to act on this opportunity agenda, I’m going to go ahead and do it. We can’t wait.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
No comments :
Post a Comment